Friday, May 18, 2012

Maid for Labelling

I may very well be honoured.

Those of you who are regular readers of this blog know that I have two jobs (the result of the down turn and my need to eat and keep a roof over my head), and one of them is as designer and salesman for Breconshire & Llangorse Breweries.


One day, while out selling the goods so to speak, I stumbled upon a farm shop called 'the Welsh Venison Centre who, in a blinding flash of fiscal tomfoolery, decided to have their own labels put on the bottled beers that we supply to them, and me, in an equally blinding flash of salesman-foolery, took the order, with the customer asking me to design the label.

So I set about it last Monday--- designed it and I thought that was that. But then this morning I got a phone call from a writer---someone who produces weighty and noble tomes about the brewing industry. He had seen my label and rang up to congratulate me on it. He gushed loquaciously about my art and its high standards; all very nice to hear, I assure you. But it wasn't until he mentioned 'LOTY' that I was really blown away.

Now I will admit to saying  'WHO??' when he mentioned LOTY, as my inexperience in all things beer trade shone through. LOTY, it would appear, stands for Label Of The Year, which is a very prestigious event in the brewing industry calendar; its a kind of 'Oscars' for label designers.

Anyhow, it turns out that this gent is very big in the LOTY department ( no double entendre intended) and had enjoyed my label so much he suggested I enter the competition as he believed I stood a very strong chance of actually winning it.

Well I was blown away, as you can imagine.I will, of course, keep you all updated as to its outcome. If I win it I will be gobsmacked; not because I  think my labels aren't any good, but because, if the truth is to be known, I've never created a label before in my life and I only did this because I was asked to and kind of fumbled my inexperienced way through it.

So through, quite literally, learning as I went along, I may very well have produced an industry award winning label.

Just goes to show, sometimes ignorance is not only bliss, its quite often a blessing in disguise.

Cheers


By the way, if you are in need of books, DVD's, games, electrical goods and you're going to use Amazon to buy them, please click onto it through my site on the banner advert to your right; for every person that does I get a payment from Amazon, and if you order from that click then I get a commission on what you buy. It doesn't cost you a single penny extra but it does help fund this blog, enabling me to carry on giving you free cartoon advice and stories.

Please remember, every click you make helps me entertain you! Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment

Most Popular Posts